“Blackest Night #8 is a predictable end to a series that has consistently chosen cliches over more thoughtful story directions and favored impressive visuals over plot. This has been an event that has repeatedly offered a quick glimpse of what could be the beginning a clever thread only to instantly ignore it or worse yet replace it with characters making simple declarations of basic feelings that should be obvious through facial expressions before stopping for a multiple page-long laser light show.”
“So what happened, after all that, over the course of “Blackest Night”? Nothing. Nothing important happened. Some people dressed up in color coded suits and shot matching rays and made statements like “It’s not working” or “Shoot lasers together and it’ll work then.” But the characters as they are now are essentially the same characters they were when this whole mess started. We haven’t really learned anything new about who these people are. No important themes have been examined. There was no thought provoking exploration of why superheroes seem to die and come back so often, only a terse “Uh, Nekron did it,” with no further explanation of motivation or even an attempt to say how.”
I thought I’d go through your choices for silliest costume with my own thoughts. For the most part, I very much agreed with you guys. First up…
- So the obvious problem here is the bewb issue. Any sane individual will look at this outfit and realize immediately that the lack of support in the mammary area is just plain unreasonable. Sure, suspended disbelief is part of comics, but the Sapphire tits are cheesecake taken to the absolute limit.
- Have you learned nothing from Nightwing and Black Lightning? No disco collars!
- This crown looks like a pageant tiara crossed with Disney princess dress up. It’s total little girl fantasy and it doesn’t fit with the sexuality of the outfit. The Star Sapphires aren’t royalty.
- This is a flimsy bathing suit. It does not go in space. Yes, they have warm aura protection, but until Kyle Rayner rocks a speedo I’m still bitchin about it.
- The whole ‘only chicks are awesome at superlove’ concept is irritating enough, but why do all the alien species in this troupe have a curvy, human figure? No tentacles, no bugs, no planets? Okay, this isn’t a costume complaint but still! It’s illogical! /Spock