Father-Son Moment of the Day: In its latest round of housecleaning, CBS canceled its promising, yet ultimately banal sitcom $h*! My Dad Says. Justin Halpern, the comedy writer whose dad’s mercurial musings formed the basis for the novelty Twitter account upon which the show is based, broke the news to his dad over the phone.
Their conversation offers perhaps the most honest explanation for why the show was ultimately canceled: It may have been a decent show, but compared to the things Justin’s dad actually says, it was sh*t.
So yesterday the TV show based off the twitter feed, and my book, Shit My Dad Says, was cancelled. I worked on the show for the last year. It was a bummer, until I remembered that I got a TV show based off a twitter feed and a book and was basically the luckiest asshole who ever roamed this earth. Anyway, I decided I should call my dad to give him the news.
“Hey. What do you need. I’m busy,” he said.
“Do you have a second?” I said.
“Is this Justin?” he said.
“Yeah. Who’d you think it was?“
“Didn’t know. Just picked up the phone.”
“You didn’t know who it was and you answered the phone with ‘Hey. What do you need? I’m busy?,” I asked.
“Let’s people know not to f*ck around with my time,” he said.
“My show got cancelled,” I said.
There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line and I wasn’t sure if he heard me. I was about to say it again, when he spoke.
“Well. F*ck. Sorry to hear that, son.”
“Eh, it’s okay. It happens. It was crazy I got a show on the air in the first place.”
“Well, I liked it. It was kind of sh*tty at first, but I thought it got a lot better. You know what show I like? Cheers. That was a good show,” he said.
“That was a good show,” I said, wondering if that was part of a larger point he was about to make.
“Also I liked The Simpsons. At first I thought, it’s just a stupid cartoon for pants-sh*tters, but I was wrong, great show.” (Pants-sh*tters is how my dad refers to toddlers.)
“Well, I just wanted to let you know. I know you’re busy so I’ll let you go,” I said.
“I‘m 75. If you’re busy when you’re seventy five, you f*cked up the first seventy five years. I want you to know that I’m proud of you. You didn’t put a bullet through Bin Laden but I’m proud of you. You’re a bust-ass kid.”
“Thanks,” I said.
“And let’s not forget the big picture here. You don’t have to live with me anymore. One less person crawling up your ass every morning. That’s all anyone can f*cking ask for.”
- theleanover likes this
- wrywryeye reblogged this from thedailywhat
- ivixv likes this
- piazza likes this
- undefinedsoul reblogged this from thedailywhat
- digitalmeowmix likes this
- freshstrawberries likes this
- melaneez reblogged this from thedailywhat
- blubberoddment likes this
- escapedfrommymind reblogged this from thedailywhat
- ktp-likes-this reblogged this from thedailywhat
- kwchu likes this
- meisterj reblogged this from chrishaley
- carpedmm likes this
- theslowandtheshort reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- nickwild likes this
- heyitslori likes this
- kokox reblogged this from thedailywhat
- conantroutman likes this
- 09912311 likes this
- gellyzacarias likes this
- ostentatoire reblogged this from thedailywhat
- sevententacles likes this
- topknot likes this
- obscurething likes this
- hotelmirana likes this
- noitisntperfect reblogged this from thedailywhat
- thambos likes this
- dreamsforwings likes this
- dontwalkintime likes this
- roopeeh likes this
- smdy reblogged this from ambyrshae and added:
- kristiners reblogged this from mypantsareonfire
- firstforsecond reblogged this from thedailywhat
- lateontheuptake likes this
- crazy4catz likes this
- laciporhtnasim likes this
- savannahstreethassle reblogged this from drugz
- drugz reblogged this from thedailywhat
- tiezesty likes this
- thinkimacontra likes this
- livefully reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- sirelvyn likes this
- victoriadawns likes this
- tinyfist likes this
- lemondropstastelikebetrayal reblogged this from yourehilarious
- wardamnlife reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- shenkena likes this
- chkstr likes this